Learning with/in FLOSS
(Free / Libre Open Source Software)
Thursday 31 May 2007
Conference room of the Central Library of AUTh
10:00 – 14:00
A one day workshop was organized by the Software Engineering Group (SWENG) of the dept. of Informatics of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
After a few short presentations on the scope of the workshop, emphasis will be given to an extensive discussion with the participants, in order to elicit opinions and to answer questions regarding learning characteristics in FLOSS online communities.
An overview of the workshop is provided below.
Aims of the workshop:
- To investigate the educational impact of participation in online communities.
- To understand the way FLOSS environments function in terms of learning, teaching, instructional materials used, and technologies used.
- To analyze the learning processes within these communities and the learning outcomes.
- To identify the factors that contribute to successful knowledge construction in such communities.
Profile of the participants:
- Students of ICT
- Academic staff
- Software programers – Software managers
- Any kind of FLOSS participants
- Anybody interested in FLOSS development and participation.
- S. Sowe – The definition and working framework of FLOSS environments: stucture and roles.
- G. Zaphiriou – Five aspects of online cooperation.
- A. Karoulis – Learning in a FLOSS context: possibilities and questions.
Points of Discussion:
- Parameters of learning in FLOSS
- Boundaries of learning in online communities.
- Learning responsibility in online learning and studying.
- Learning roles in online cooperation.
- The learning impact of the “gurus” and mentors in online communities.
- FLOSS communication tools: do they facilitate or hinder learning?
- Participation in mature or fresh projects: which is better for novices?
- Feedback on learning outcomes in an online setting.
- Generalization from what has been learned online to other domains: dream or reality?
- FLOSS productivity and learning procedure: do they keep pace?
- How is learning in FLOSS different from learning in a school/university?
- During the workshop, all participants was kindly asked to record their opinions in a questionnaire with learning oriented questions.
- After the workshop, interested participants received a certificate of attendance.